Tuesday, 10 January 2012

Thank you note genius

And modesty failure.

My child is a little reluctant to write thank you notes, in fact he is a tad reluctant to write anything.  Last summer I even had to write a thank you for my son’s teacher myself.

As my boy has a birthday only a few days short of Christmas he is inundated with brilliant gifts from friends and family at this time of year.

Which in turn means he is somewhat obligated to show his appreciate of the generosity shown by these lovely people.

I like to believe he is genuinely thankful for what he has been given, but working on his grateful is an ongoing project.

However reminded of the pain that was getting him writing his Christmas cards, and his party invitations shortly before Yuletide, plonking a pile of thank you cards in front of my mini-colossus was not top of my ‘want-to-do’ list.

So I had to come up with a solution.

I want folks to know that my son is grateful for their treasures, and also want my son to know that demonstrating gratitude is a process he should be familiar with and consider engaging with.

Thus we sat down and he designed a thank you card with my guidance.  Rather aptly using an art set he’d received amongst his bounty of presents.

I think what he came up with was simplistically cool, not at all influenced by its great propensity to being scanned and printed without using much printer ink.



So some of these were printed and folded with classmates names written on.  Some were posted to friends and family, and some were even emailed.

Thus my child got to learn about being thankful, publishing and using technology all at the same time.

He may also have learnt a lazyish solution to thank you notes, but I’m going to conveniently ignore that.

Share/Save/Bookmark

Blog Widget by LinkWithin